Sunday, January 29, 2012

I'm a Titanic Groupie

My mom and I went to see The Descendants this afternoon. We walked in a few minutes into the previews and...

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!! 

I heard the soundtrack to Titanic!!!

The film poster shows a man and a woman hugging over a picture of the Titanic's bow. In the background is a partly cloudy sky and at the top are the names of the two lead actors. The middle has the film's name and tagline, and the bottom contains a list of the director's previous works, as well as the film's credits, rating, and release date.

"Somebody's life is about to change..."

And that somebody is ME, baby! I am not even lying to you, Titanic is being re-released in April in honor of the 100th anniversary of the actual Titanic sinking. And I practically started crying with emotional joy just seeing the preview today. 

The movie was originally released in 1997, while I was in college. At first, I resisted seeing the movie because of my whole thing where I am forced to have an attitude and hate/dismiss things that everyone else loves. And I don't tend to like "girl movies". It was a "pass" for me. But then I was home over winter vacation and my mom and I thought, "Let's go see this Titanic movie that everyone is talking about."  

Was the Celine Dion song already being played 24 hours a day on the radio at that point? I am not sure. (And, no, that scene isn't a favorite of mine.) 

So we saw the movie, and I liked the movie. I thought it was an adventure, and I liked the love story. (I also really liked Shakespeare in Love, which came out the next year and shares a similar tragic love story theme.) Plus, it had a great soundtrack, which is always key when you're talking about an epic film. I was in college with plenty of free time, and I actually had a job that didn't pay poorly for work study. So I invited a friend to see Titanic. And then I would learn someone else hadn't seen it, so I'd say, "You have to see it! I'll go with you!" 

A month or two later, I had seen Titanic in the movie theater... 10 times!




Not even 9 times... 10 times!! That's 32+ hours of Titanic movie theater time. And probably $60-ish of Titanic movie theater tickets. Plus popcorn X10!

It was sort of an accident. I didn't mean to become a Titanic groupie, but it happened. I cried in the movie theater 10 times during this scene...



Oh goodness, I am practically crying RIGHT NOW!

And you are either a)also crying or b)siding with my husband and making fun of me.

I am not as obsessed with the movie now as I was then. But I do own it. And we did "watch" it while I labored at home with Little Man. (What a strange choice I made! If I was in my right mind, I clearly would have chosen "You've Got Mail".)

How about you? Are you freaking out about going to see the re-release of Titanic? If you need me in the week or two after April 6th, check the movie theater, because I will probably be there!

2 comments:

  1. I know! So exciting! Though the 3-D part may be a little awkward during the "sketch" scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot stand 3D, so it won't be a problem. Unless my choice is 3D or nothing, and then I guess I'll be dealing with Kate Winslet's nipples right in my face.

      Delete