Monday, September 14, 2009

Happy Grandparents Day... PS - You're old!

Yesterday was Grandparent's Day. L & B's grandparents may be wondering why they didn't receive anything for this special holiday. Well, there is a reason...

In the middle of last week, I started an online search for Grandparents Day related coloring sheets for my kids to color for their grandparents. At "almost 2" and 3.5, coloring sheets are just our speed and a lot easier on Mommy than trying to get them to produce some other kind of project.

Quickly, I realized I was going to have a problem. My kids' grandparents are just so darn young! All 4 are in their 50's, and definitely do not look "old". I don't think sending them a coloring sheet with a "You belong in a nursing home" underlying message would really elicit the celebratory response we were going for. And I couldn't help laughing at the suggestions of "Play bingo together" and "Visit their nursing home" as suggested Grandparents Day activities (though I don't think my parents - or Eric's - would find that as funny).


 I thought I found a winner here. Nana Sharon loves to garden, so I thought "Granddaughter-Grandmother gardening" might be a good one.


There are lots of canes and glasses in "Grandparents Day" coloring sheet world, not to mention extremely conservative clothing.

Cane: check! Glasses: check! Conservative clothing: check!
This one goes one step further, "You're old and you need a better bra."

There is just something creepy about this one.

"Your metabolism isn't what it once was, Grandpa!"

I ended up finding more generic coloring sheets and/or pages that said "Happy Grandparents Day", rather than ones with pictures of grandparents. There would definitely be a market for coloring sheets with young, fairly hip grandparents for occasions such as this.

Happy Grandparent's Day to Grandpa Barney, Grandpa Mark, Nana Sharon, Papa Sisu and YaYa!

Fabulous color sheet examples provided by:

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the idea that we're not doddering! And the coloring too!

    ReplyDelete