Thursday, February 2, 2012

Threes

Sometime in my life, I learned that landscaping and home decorating likes the number 3. Things look good in threes. Maybe my landscape designing mother-in-law, Sharon, told me that? Or maybe I learned it watching home shows on HGTV.  I can't say I completely have followed the advice in my yard.

But the other day I was grocery shopping and realize there is one place where I stick pretty hard to the rule of threes: the produce aisle in the grocery store! 

Without even realizing it, until recently, I always buy 3 of things. 3 red apples, 3 green apples, 3 oranges, 3 zucchini, 3 tomatoes, 3 kiwi. 

Why do I do that? 

More confounding, there are FOUR people in my family, so it would probably make sense for me to buy 4 of each thing. And yet, I continue wanting to buy produce in threes.

Since having this startling realization about myself, I tried to be really risky at Fred Meyer this week. To shop "outside the box", if you will. I bought 5 small Jazz apples on Monday! It opened up so many possibilities! 


No comments:

Post a Comment