Thursday, February 9, 2012

2012 12 Book Challenge

In 2011, I participated in a challenge on Goodreads to select 12 books that I have wanted to read for at least a year and commit to reading them in the calendar year.  I completed my goal, even though it involved the 800 or so pages of Anna Karenina.

I decided to do something similar this year, only instead of officially being part of a challenge, I made my own challenge. And, it's already February, so I already have some catching up to do!

I *heart* Goodreads for a lot of reasons. Most of all, I like to save titles of books I hear about that seem interesting, that friends enjoyed, that may be good for book club or whatever. Right now I have 207 books sitting on my "to read" shelf.

How to choose the 12? Last year I read 51 books, so picking 12 doesn't mean I am selecting every book I will read for the year. And with 207 to choose from, 12 is a drop in a bucket.

So I decided instead of choosing books I am dying to read, I would choose randomly from my 'to read' list. After all, they ended up on that list for a reason, so I might as well read them!

I used an online random number generator and then matched the generated numbers with the position on my "to read" shelf.  I must say, the collection is interesting. A few of the books I am super excited to read, a couple not so much, and a few I don't even recall anything about!

Here they are, my 12 books for 2012. I will try to remember to update when I read them!

Running the Rift

The Shelter of God's Promises

The Midwife's Confession

The Language of Flowers

People of the Book

Rachel and Her Children: Homeless Families in America

The House At Riverton

Blueeyedboy

The Red Thread

Middlesex

Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child

The Girls of Slender Means

No comments:

Post a Comment