Saturday, September 5, 2009

Quoting Movies

Quoting movies is only funny if the other person has seen the movie.

Eric and I watch a lot of movies. We put our Netflix money to good use and actually make it to the theater more often than most couples raising two toddlers. My taste in movies tends to be a little less mainstream, so I end up seeing movies that most other people I know have never seen (or, sometimes, even heard of). Not to say that I won't see a popular movie, I just think it's fun to seek out intelligent, well acted films that aren't predestined for commercial success.

Eric and I both are also movie quoters. He could probably recite "Dumb and Dumber" in it's entirety, for me that movie is "The Princess Bride". We're getting there with "You've Got Mail".

The problem with movie quoting is that part of the reason that quotes are funny is the context of the movie. So if I love movies that no one I know has seen, and I love the dialogue, there is no one to share it with! Last week Eric and I saw In Bruges. That movie had some great lines! They are bubbling up inside me, but I can't share them because it really is true that they aren't as funny to someone who "wasn't there".

Because I can't resist, here is one of my favorites:

Ray: Ken, I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't.

Hopefully someone reading this will have seen "In Bruges" and will laugh. I think that would excuse me from the exponential lameness of knowing what I was doing was lame, but doing it anyway!

1 comment:

  1. In Bruges was in my top 5 favorite movies I saw in the last year. You are the only other person I know who saw it! As for quoting movie lines, I think I should keep a notebook handy and jot them down because I apparently don't have enough brain space to remember them and pull them out when needed.

    ReplyDelete