Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Reflections: 2010 Goals

It's that time of year again - desperate to keep my mind off of the mess of new toys and clothes in my living room, I start thinking about my goals for next year.  If my brain can't take the present, might as well look to the future, right?

Only, for today, I decided it would be good to look back to the past. Specifically: my January 2010 post outlining my goals for this year.

How did I do?

1) Increase my focus on being "healthy and strong"
This was goal #1, so it's the most important, right? I hope so, because it is one of the only ones that I really made some progress on this year! I switched gyms this fall to one with a kids area that Little Man actually likes going to. It has made all the difference in the world. I've been hitting the gym 5-6 days a week and really look forward to that time. I feel "healthy and strong', and it is a good stress release and time to get focused on my day.  I recently started the weight training workouts in The New Rules of Lifting for Women and am seeing results already.  I am committed, and staying committed (minus my birthday and Christmas which was a cookie debacle), to clean eating, which feels great!
Goal Accomplishment Rating: 4/5

2) Cut back on tv & movies
Let's get real. This didn't happen.  My husband and I crave our evening brain shut off time after the kids go to bed, and we are still "shutting off" to movies and tv. Hey, at least we saw some good movies this year!
Goal Accomplishment Rating: 0/5

3) Add some adventure
When I wrote the original goal, I talked about my plans to go on crazy adventures with Eric and the kids. To do things that are out of the ordinary and create memories.  I think we did a little of that this year. I hope to seek out more adventure in 2011! We did a major landscaping overhaul of our backyard that was definitely "adventure" in a torturous, exhausting way.  Oh yeah, and I went to Haiti on a missions trip, one of the big adventures of my life so far.
Goal Accomplishment Rating: 4/5

4) Put some money into savings
This turned out to be a wish rather than a goal.  I'm giving myself 1 point because we didn't go into debt!
Goal Accomplishment Rating: 1/5

5) Become an intentional friend
This is a rough one to gauge.  I think I was mentally an intentional friend this year. I thought of my friends more, prayed for friends. Didn't do very well at reaching out to friends. Room for improvement.
Goal Accomplishment Rating: 2/5

6) Read more good books
I read like crazy this year! I think I read about a book a week. Not all were good books, but many turned out to be among the best I've ever read (see previous post).  One funny thing about looking back at last year's goals is that under this goal, I mentioned reading "The Bookseller of Kabul" and having weird dreams from it.  I have absolutely no recollection at all of reading that book, and my Goodreads page shows it listed as a "to read". What is up with that? Did I start it and then stop because of weird dreams? Why don't I remember anything about the book at all? Perplexing.
Goal Accomplishment Rating: 5/5 

Hopefully within the next few days I will have a chance to share some of my goals for 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment